10 April 2021
Essential Music Theory: Grade 5 (Easter)online course
This one-week course at Guildhall School of Music & Drama is ideal if you are preparing for the ABRSM Grade 5 Music Theory exam and/or want to improve your knowledge of music theory. The course draws upon intuitive musical understanding and focuses on stave notation. The syllabus will also provide you with a foundation for more advanced music theory studies.
The course is taught by pianist Andrew Bottrill, professor at Guildhall.
- Participants aged 11–17, with some practical experience in music.
- Knowledge of ABRSM Grade 3 music theory, or the equivalent, is expected prior to the start of the course.
The course will alternate between group sessions and 1:1 sessions led by the course tutor. During the 1:1 sessions each participant will be in their own breakout room and they will work on their own tasks to complete, the course tutor will then join them to review the exercises with them.
Collective lessons are given in three broad topic areas:
- Time: understanding the notation of durations, metre and rhythm
- Pitch: understanding the notation of steps, intervals and patterns, tonality and harmony
- Sound and sense: understanding terminology, concepts, instruments and voices
Some of the activities will be online, but most exercises involve writing within the required publications and on manuscript paper.
GBP 400: £400
Participation Bursaries are available for this course. (Please note the application deadline for participation bursaries is 15 March 2021.) Further information can be found on our website.