12 August 2022
OPSFA Summer School - Orthogonal Polynomials, Special Functions and their Applications
Introduction to state of the art developments in the theory of Orthogonal Polynomials, Special Functions and their Applications with emphasis on harmonic and numerical analysis, number theory, and quantum information.
Prof. Erik Koelink
The Institute for Mathematics, Astrophysics and Particle Physics (IMAPP)
Faculty of Science
Prof. Walter van Assche
Department of Mathematics
KU Leuven, Belgium
The course is aimed at PhD-students working in the fields where orthogonal polynomials and special functions are used and applied, or in the field of orthogonal polynomials and special functions itself. Postdocs in these fields, or postdocs wanting to make themselves acquainted with recent developments in these fields, can also participate. Advanced master students with an interest in these topics, or aspiring for a PhD-track, can participate as well.
After this course:
- The participant is familiar with hypergeometric functions of several variables and understands the relation to harmonic analysis.
- The participant understands the role of orthogonal polynomials and special functions in quadrature rules and Krylov subspace methods.
- The participant knows what modular functions are, and understands its relation to group theory and complex analysis.
- The participant understands the role of orthogonal polynomials and quantum information, in particular in relation to perfect state transfer
- The participant is familiar with the basic results on matrix orthogonal polynomials, and its relation to matrix differential operators.
3 ECTS credits in case the participant has made the additional assignment after the summer school course.
EUR 300: The fee includes the registration fees, course materials, access to library and IT facilities, coffee/tea, lunch, and a number of social activities.
We offer several reduced fees:
€ 270 early bird discount- deadline 1 April 2022 (10%)
€ 255 partner + RU discount (15%)
€ 225 early bird + partner + RU discount (25%)