27 January 2023
CanSat: Hands-On Satellite Design
A CanSat is a small satellite in shape of a commercial beverage can that performs several measuring tasks. In this course, a CanSat is designed, built and tested in the field during a rocket launch. Therefore, all basics of topics related to exciting area of space technologies is imparted and practical skills for the development of a CanSat are trained. The theoretical units are supplemented by practical exercises. Parts of the CanSat are developed in intensely supervised small groups. During an excursion to a site in Berlin where space related companies and institutions are located, the participants shall gain insight into facilities used for the development of satellites.
Vijay Puttappa Nagalingesh, Cem Avsar, Nikolas Korn (tbc), Steffen Reinert (tbc), Julian Bartholomäus (tbc)
This course is designed for students with a general understanding of engineering who want to gain insight into the exciting topic of space technologies. With the practical approach applied, students experience working on a challenging project in an interdisciplinary team. This prepares them for a systems engineering career with a leading position in the engineering industry. With the basic knowledge in space technologies that is imparted in this course, students have a good starting point to prepare themselves for a continuing education in space engineering. It is recommended that students use their own laptops for the hands-on project.
- Apply basic skills in mechanical design, electrical design and microcontroller programming in a hands-on project
- Describe the main elements of astronautics
- Describte the subsystems of a satellite
- Reason and solve problems analytically
- Manage working in an interdisciplinary team
- Apply defined steps in managing a group project
- Justify design choices from a technical and programmatic point of view
- Build and operate a system which behaves similar to a satellite
- Prepare for an experimental campaign
- Present project results properly in a review
EUR 2300: 2300 EUR for students, 2760 EUR for working professionals