5 August 2022
Alternative Economic and Monetary Systems
Alternative Economic and Monetary Systems is an interdisciplinary summer school focusing on alternatives to the economic status quo: International participants deal with limits of growth, as well as the instabilities of our financial system. They learn why a drastic system change is necessary to reach the target of stabilizing the world climate at 1.5°C - and most importantly: they are presented with an array of innovative approaches!
AEMS 2022 will take place July 18th to August 5th in Vienna.
WHY AEMS? There is overwhelming evidence, that the current economic model based on everlasting economic growth is destroying the ecosystem of our planet and contributing to the global climate crisis. AEMS offers an evaluation of economic alternatives that considers natural boundaries and the human factor to be equal parts of the equation. Our ambitious goal: To help solve some of societies’ problems by presenting viable alternatives to processes and developments that are putting enormous strains on economic, ecological, and social boundaries.
Experts from various scientific disciplines, among them Helga Kromp-Kolb, Christian Felber and many others.
Applicants are required to be at least 18 years old. Excellent English language skills are a prerequisite. The course is open to international students from all fields with an interest in economic reform.
Participants who formerly had little or no economic background knowledge will gain enough knowledge to hold their own in discussions about economic reform and initiate projects of their own. The lectures, workshops and discussion panels cover a variety of topics: from the reform or re-definition of money, an overhaul of the aim of economic activity towards solidarity and cooperation, tax reform, a reform of financial markets, all to the way to a change in consumer culture and the reduction of resource consumption.
Credits are issued by the University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences, Vienna (BOKU University)
EUR 1390: Regular participation fee includes:
- Certificate of the University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences, Vienna (BOKU University) for 5 ECTS after successful completion
- All costs for lectures and lecture-related activities (workshops, excursions)
- All costs related to extra-curricular activities as shown in the program
- Fully furnished accommodation in an OeAD student guesthouse with the option to extend the stay for one (1) additional week at no
- Public transport tickets for the duration of the summer school
- Catered evening events as shown in the program (Opening event, dinner at a typical Austrian restaurant)
- Some light refreshments during the lectures
- Dedicated staff to support and answer your queries
More information on course website.
We cooperate with several organizations to provide student grants for outstanding applicants in need of financial aid. Reduced fee for scholarship holders: EUR 490,-
Scholarship application deadline EXTENDED: May 31st, 2022
More information on website