20 August 2022
Phenomenology of Border Area: Eastern Latviablended course
Latvian Language and Culture Summer School “Phenonemology of the Border Area: Eastern Latvia” comprises two parts: Latvian language learning and Border Area studies.
Summer School “Phenonemology of the Border Area: Eastern Latvia” is an excellent opportunity to focus on the border area phenomenon, learn its research tools, do field studies in Eastern Latvia, improve the communicative competence using the basic level (A1) of Latvian language in the field studies.
Dr. philol., prof. Maija Burima – Head of Centre for Latvian Studies, Faculty of Humanities, Daugavpils University
Bachelor’s, Master’s, Doctoral students, academic and research staff of foreign higher education institutions.
1. To give knowledge about the object of border area phenomenology and methods of its research;
2. To acquaint the participants with the Eastern Latvia border area and identify its specificity in the context of Latvia;
3. To do field studies, characterizing the economic, environmental, cultural, entertainment etc. objects of Eastern Latvia border area using methods of border area study;
4. To learn Latvian language at the basic level, practice its use while doing field studies;
5. To come up with conclusions about the opportunities of using the phenomenology of border area approach;
6. To do the Latvian language knowledge test.
Students completing the course will be issued a certificate of attendance (6 ECTS).
EUR 150: Online course is 150 EUR, including classes, video materials, study materials, technical support.
It is possible to choose either one or both modules:
1. Latvian language learning module – EUR 100,
2. Eastern Latvia Phenomenology Module – EUR 50.
EUR 450: Face-to- full course is 450 EUR, including classes, field studies, study materials, catering, accomodation.
There are 10 Latvia State scholarships available for participation in the summer school.