10 August 2022
Soviet Military History Traces in the Territory of Latvia
International Summer School “Soviet Military History Traces in the Territory of Latvia” comprises of acquaintance with Soviet military heritage and integrated learning of functional Latvian language.
Summer School “Soviet Military Heritage in the Territory of Latvia” is an excellent opportunity to explore the military heritage of Soviet Latvia, through field studies at military objects, visits of military history museums, lectures and discussions and integrated acquisition of the basic level (A1) of Latvian language
Dr. philol., prof. Maija Burima – Head of Centre for Latvian Studies, Faculty of Humanities, Daugavpils University
Bachelor’s, Master’s, Doctoral students, academic and research staff of foreign higher education institutions.
1. To create understanding of the Soviet hegemony in the history of the Baltic States and the Soviet military history material traces in 21st century territory Latvia;
2. To acquire functional Latvian language (phrases, support lexicon, communicative constructions) using intensive and integrated CLIL methodology for building basic knowledge of Latvian useful for daily situations and search of information connected to Summer School topic;
3. To popularize material culture and history of Latvia;
4. To come up with recommendations for modern integration of Soviet military history traces in tourism or other fields of national economy;
5. To select scholarship receivers as their home-country intellectual envoys who are to spread their knowledge acquired in the Summer School after the closing of the programme;
6. To do the Latvian language knowledge test.
Students completing the course will be issued a certificate of attendance (6 ECTS).
EUR 350: Face-to- full course is 450 EUR, including classes, field studies, trips, study materials, catering, accomodation.
There are 10 Latvia State scholarships available for participation in the summer school.