29 July 2022
on course website
Design and Innovation in Business
Business and marketing students, enhance your studies by exploring techniques used in the design professions to generate new and innovative ideas and solutions.
Being ahead of the competition and standing out from the crowd is essential in today's business world. So is being able to demonstrate your creativity and problem-solving skills. This course will provide you with valuable new skills that will complement your business knowledge and, therefore, it is a must for anyone who wants to develop ways to promote themselves and their ideas.
During the course you will explore the business case for creativity in the workplace. You will work in teams to solve simple design problems, and experiment with approaches to design thinking which are likely to be new to you. You will combine classroom lectures with sessions in the design studio and build your understanding of how to think creatively and communicate your ideas to others. You will try drawing as a tool for improving your observation skills and as a way to analyse objects and systems. You will come to understand why drawing is the communication tool favoured by professionals of all backgrounds.
As the course progresses you will begin to develop a personal project, supported by lectures on marketing and how to launch a new product or service. You will explore presentation skills so that, upon completing the course, you will have a project that demonstrates your awareness of design, marketing, branding and business thinking, which you can present in teams to your tutors and fellow students.
On this course you will:
• explore how to incorporate innovation in everyday business practices
• look at consumer behaviour and current marketing trends
• learn how to improve your project management and leadership skills
• use effective presentations skills to communicate your ideas with confidence
• explore rapid concept generation techniques and examine how design, problem-solving and idea generation processes work
• be actively involved in studio design projects
• consider prototyping and sketch modelling to present your concepts
• hear how designers view their clients and customers, and how entrepreneurs can develop brand and logo awareness when setting up a new business
• review case studies that will support your understanding of the creative process.
You will leave the course with a large amount of tried and tested business information, a project for your portfolio and new skills that are sought after by employers.
This course is aimed a students from business and marketing backgrounds who wish to enhance their creativity to allow them to generate new and innovative ideas and solutions.
After studying on this course you should be able to:
• explain the need for creativity in today’s business environment.
• describe idea generation techniques.
• discuss consumer behaviour today.
• use basic sketching and modelling techniques to present concepts effectively.
• work effectively as a member of a team.
• manage a project effectively.
Assessment = a final presentation of drawings, prototypes and a business proposal.
10 UK credits / 5 ECTS
GBP 1100: Early-bird discount available for students who pay the tuition fee by 31st March - £990!
Tuition fee includes course materials, our exciting social and cultural programme, support from our friendly team of student buddies, use of our GSS Hub with free drinks, and a trip to the beautiful city of Oxford.
GBP 350: Choose from on-campus or off-campus accommodation. Both offer single en-suite rooms on a self-catering basis with shared kitchen and living spaces, kitchen and bedding packs and 24 hour security/reception cover.
on course website