14 July 2023
Design & Transitions: Emerging Theories and Practices at the Intersection
This summer school provides a space for critical and creative interdisciplinary dialogue between the disciplines of design (research) and transitions (research). It facilitates the co-creation of theoretical knowledge that transcends their disciplinary boundaries.
Although typically operating in isolation, the fields of Design and Transitions (including their scientific foundations and frameworks, their norms, and their methods) are increasingly seen as complementary in the pursuit of achieving sustainable, just and resilient futures. As a result, increasing scholarly attention is being paid to how the fields relate to one another, leading to new configurations and integrations of each. Transformative change is already happening, and policy, business and communities are engaging with it in different ways to address the challenges of sustainability. However, if we want to attend to the increasing urgency of radical transitions, we need another strategy - one that is transformative and imaginative and brings into practice the idea that we can design towards transitions.
During this summer school, we will discover this emerging field together, while learning about theories and practices that are arising and/or relevant at the intersection. Additionally, you will learn about the theories and practices that are typical in these disciplines and together explore effective ways of co-creating knowledge in research and practice contexts of sustainability transitions. We will address topics such as power and justice, imagination, experientiality of futures, more-than-humans and much more in a program that combines theoretical and experiential learning activities.
The summer school is hosted by the Design Impact Transition (DIT) Platform in collaboration with NODUS Sustainable Design Research Group, Aalto University (Finland).
Course leaders: Femke Coops MSc, Assoc. Prof. İdil Gaziulusoy and Prof.dr. Derk Loorba
Graduate students / PhD students / Postdoctoral researchers with a background in or affiliation with design (research) and/or sustainability transitions
After this course you will be able to:
• Discuss the key similarities, differences and potential synergies of design research and sustainability transitions with particular references to the theoretical frameworks and methods deployed in each field.
• Critically analyse emerging syntheses and integrations of the two fields.
• Conceptualise new theoretical and methodological insights that can inform the emerging intersections between design research and sustainability transitions.
• Develop and apply skills for co-creation of knowledge across disciplines and with stakeholders in transdisciplinary contexts of sustainability transitions projects.
• Reflect on your own role within a multidisciplinary group and relevant professional contexts.
Upon successful completion of the Summer School, participants will receive a Certificate of Participation indicating the workload and corresponding 2ECTS. Students can request recognition of these ECTS from their home institutions, therefore the final decision on awarding credits lies with their home institutions.
EUR 300: Participation fee includes lunches, refreshments, dinners, transportation, excursions, and course materials for the whole week.