28 July 2023
Environment and Sustainability
Week 1 and 2
You will be introduced to the culture, lifestyle and the environment of the UK and explore:
- Natural environments
- Hydrology/flooding/water treatment
- Sustainability and circular economy
- Soil/water/food security
- Environmental pollution
- GIS and environmental data science
There will be a two-night trip to London to explore the capital.
You will also be preparing assessment materials and working on a team project under the theme of ‘Understanding, respecting and managing the environment’, where you will develop a scientific approach to the study of environmental problems.
Intercultural and social experience
Throughout the three weeks, you will be accompanied by Lancaster Student Ambassadors who will help you settle into Lancaster, showing you around campus, and answering your questions. They will also lead evening social activities and weekend trips, giving you plenty of chances to make new international friends.
A two-night trip to London is also included in the programme.
For more details about Lancaster’s Global Summer Schools, including information on each programme, how to apply, entry requirements, etc. please visit our webpage.
Lancaster Environment Centre
To participate in one of our summer schools, you must meet the following criteria:
- Be at least 18 years old at the start of the programme.
- Where applicable, meet pre-requisites for the chosen programme. See the programme package for more details.
- Be in good academic standing and on track to pass year 1 of studies.
- If you come from a country where English is not an official language, you will need to provide proof of your language ability.
You will embark on a journey into our natural environment and explore a broad range of topics. Through a mixture of interactive lectures, practical laboratory sessions and field excursions, this course is perfectly designed to build your knowledge of our natural environment, and the human impacts on it – with a focus on innovations in sustainability.
Students who complete this course are awarded 15 LU / 4 US / 7.5 ECTS credits.
GBP 3355: This fee includes:
- Catered ensuite single room on campus, or an approved off campus room
- Most meals
- Range of evening activities
- Two-night trip to London
Meals are not provided when away from campus during scheduled overnight trips, e.g. London. The accommodation facilities will vary if you stay away from Lancaster University as part of the scheduled programme.
Students may be eligible for a scholarship if you study at one of our partner institutions. If you are unsure if this applies to you, contact us at email@example.com.