6 July 2023
Stigma in the History of Medicine and its Ethical Approach
Stigma is society's negative evaluation of specific characteristics or behaviors. The term "stigma", which has prevailed internationally in the scientific literature, derives from the ancient Greek language and specifically from the verb "stizo (στίζω)". By referring to the relevant bibliography, students will get to know its ramifications over the centuries starting from ancient Greece and reaching the present day. Also, with regard to his ethical approach, it will be examined both within the context of "self-stigmatism" and the discredit that accompanies and permanently burdens someone.
Prof. Marianna Karamanou
No prior subject knowledge is required to study this module.
Upon successful completion of this module, students will:
1. define the term stigma and its manifestations at the social level
2. be able to describe phenomena of "self-stigma"
3. clearly articulate his ethical approach
4. be able to search in various databases for the appropriate bibliography regarding the history of stigma
5. be able to design appropriate educational material to avoid "self-stigma"
A certificate of attendance will be provided to all participants through the University center for Training and Lifelong Learning and credit points will be awarded.
EUR 100: Registration fee for all modules.
Total number of participants: 40
EUR 0: Accommodation: Ariadne beach hotel – adult only (Venue), Agios Nikolaos, Crete, Greece
Double Room:170 euros/ day (85 E /person), local all inclusive (breakfast, lunch, dinner)
Triple Room: 220 euros/ day (73 E/person), local all inclusive (breakfast, lunch, dinner)
In order to book your room please contact Dr. Spyros Michaleas to provide you further assistance (firstname.lastname@example.org)
From Athens International Airport to Heraklion airport “Nikos Kazantzakis” and return.
Companies: Aegean, Sky express, Volotea
There are direct flights to Heraklion airport “Nikos Kazantzakis” from several countries.
From Piraeus port to Heraklion port and return
For further assistance concerning flight or boat tickets please contact:
Vai travel, Heraklion, Crete, Mrs Maria Hatzidaki, T: 0030281 028 8514/ 288 413.
Please note that a bus transfer will be provided for free
• On 3rd July 2023 at 11.00 am from Heraklion airport and port to venue hotel (Ariadne beach hotel),
• On 6th July 2023 at 1.00 pm from venue hotel (Ariadne beach hotel) to Heraklion airport and port
Distance: around 50 minutes, 60 km