6 July 2023
Narrative Medicine and the Doctor-Patient Relationship
Narrative medicine began as a theoretical and practical discipline with the goal of enhancing medical care by improving physicians' ability to receive and understand patients' descriptions of themselves. Students attending this module will understand how the experiences experienced by patients affect their (patients') health and special emphasis will be placed on the relationship created between them (doctor-patient). Practicing medicine of this type encourages patients to tell their story which in turn helps doctors to treat the disease more effectively by making use of the information they gather.
Prof. Marianna Karamanou
No prior subject knowledge is required to study this module.
Upon successful completion of this module, students will:
1. be able to know the theoretical framework of narrative medicine and how it is important to create a relationship of trust between the doctor and the patient.
2. be able to learn how the relationship between doctors and patients is built
3. be able to design appropriate tools for recording patient experiences
A certificate of attendance will be provided to all participants through the University center for Training and Lifelong Learning and credit points will be awarded.
Total credits for all modules: 1
EUR 100: Registration fee for all modules.
Total number of participants: 40
EUR 0: Accommodation: Ariadne beach hotel – adult only (Venue), Agios Nikolaos, Crete, Greece
Double Room:170 euros/ day (85 E /person), local all inclusive (breakfast, lunch, dinner)
Triple Room: 220 euros/ day (73 E/person), local all inclusive (breakfast, lunch, dinner)
In order to book your room please contact Dr. Spyros Michaleas to provide you further assistance (email@example.com)
From Athens International Airport to Heraklion airport “Nikos Kazantzakis” and return.
Companies: Aegean, Sky express, Volotea
There are direct flights to Heraklion airport “Nikos Kazantzakis” from several countries.
From Piraeus port to Heraklion port and return
For further assistance concerning flight or boat tickets please contact:
Vai travel, Heraklion, Crete, Mrs Maria Hatzidaki, T: 0030281 028 8514/ 288 413.
Please note that a bus transfer will be provided for free
• On 3rd July 2023 at 11.00 am from Heraklion airport and port to venue hotel (Ariadne beach hotel),
• On 6th July 2023 at 1.00 pm from venue hotel (Ariadne beach hotel) to Heraklion airport and port
Distance: around 50 minutes, 60 km