27 April 2023
Law on the Bosphorusonline course
Hosted by the Istanbul University Institute of Criminal Law and Criminology Research and Application Centre, the 2023 edition of the annual Law on the Bosphorus International Summer School will take place between 21 August – 27 August 2023.
As with its previous editions, the 2023 joint ‘Law on the Bosphorus’ Summer School will be oriented on Human Rights Law, focusing within that domain on a particular theme. Unfortunately, the need to address legal issues in natural disasters arose after the 7.7 and 7.6 magnitude earthquakes in Kahramanmaraş, which directly affected ten provinces in Türkiye and some regions in Syria. We often hear from scientists that earthquakes don’t kill people; buildings do. Many countries such as Türkiye, Japan, Indonesia, America, and Chile are located on a seismic belt. And earthquakes are inevitable. In the face of this natural disaster, the legislator needs to make regulations in many areas, such as administrative law, criminal law, and civil law, to protect the rights and freedoms of individuals, especially the right to life. Although this major earthquake in Turkey effectively determined this year’s theme of the summer school.
For this reason, in this year's summer school, we will discuss the legal problems in natural disasters in the context of criminal justice, human rights, international law and comparative law. Sub-themes will be on:
▪ Criminal liability for death and injury resulting from building collapse,
▪ Determination of criminal responsibility in theft crimes committed in the chaos after a natural disaster,
▪ Evaluation of judicial decisions in the context of the impact of natural disasters on the right to life,
▪ Issues of criminal liability, objective imputation and culpability that may arise after post-
▪ Legal Issues in Urban Transformation Implementation,
▪ Legal problems identified after some natural disasters and the process afterwards,
▪ Legal regulations on natural disasters in the context of comparative law,
▪ Liability for compensation after natural disasters,
▪ Liability of the Administration for Natural Disasters,
▪ Natural disasters and the right to health,
▪ Problems related to private law and criminal law liability arising from negligent acts in the inspection of buildings
Further information, including with respect to documents and references to be submitted by applicants and the format and content of the program, will be provided upon application at: email@example.com.
Applications will be received until 15th June 2023.
Application is open to law students at bachelor, master and PhD level, with a preference for candidates who can demonstrate a strong basis in Human Rights Law.
The summer school will consist of daily lectures, team meetings and presentations. Participants accepted to the summer school will be divided into teams and will prepare a joint team presentation on the topics determined for them. They will benefit from daily lessons and teamwork in preparing these presentations. The student presentation sessions will take place on the final day of the summer school. After the team presentations on the last day of the program, the winning team members will receive a certificate of participation and the best team certificates.
Law on the Bosphorus is an academic event where lectures are given by academics who are experts in the field related to the theme and our students participating in the program create solutions to the legal problems determined within the scope of our theme with their team and individual studies.
There is no credit equivalent.
EUR 0: The 2023 Summer School is free of charge.