2 August 2024
on course website
Introduction to Cognitive Psychologyonline course
How are we able to focus on one thing rather than something else? Why do we remember some things and forget others? What makes human beings intelligent? This course offers the opportunity to explore these questions and more through an introduction to Cognitive Psychology, a key area within Psychology which examines how the brain works.
You will learn about the role of attention as a fundamental cognitive process and how it relates to short and long-term memory; you will examine the phenomenon of learning, looking at learning theories and neuroimagining evidence to discover how learning occurs in the brain; and you will investigate the role of cognition in language, sleep, and consciousness. Throughout the course you will learn about the methods involved in studying Psychology and how to think critically about empirical research.
Introduction to Cognitive Psychology offers a solid foundation for future study in Psychology and provides an opportunity to hear about cutting-edge research taking place here at the University of Oxford.
This course would suit students from a range of disciplines who are interested in the scientific study of mental processes. Prior formal academic experience in Psychology is not required.
By the end of this course, you will:
- Be able to demonstrate understanding of the key issues and topics within Congitive Psychology, including current areas of research.
- Be able to demonstrate understanding of the psychological and biological methods behind Cognitive Psychology.
- Be able to evaluate critically empirical findings from psychological research.
LMH Summer Programmes are designed to be eligible for credit, and we recommend the award of 7.5 ECTS / 4 US / 15 CATS for this course.
GBP 1360: This includes:
- All tuition, including lectures, seminars, and tutorials.
- Assessment, transcript of academic performance, and certificate.
- Access to the LMH Summer Programmes remote learning platform.
- Support of the dedicated Remote Learning Coordinator.
on course website