24 August 2024
Measuring Health Spending and Results to Improve Health Sector Performanceblended course
This course will provide an introduction on the challenges and opportunities of tracking expenditures in the health sector, measuring the efficiency and equity of a health system, and using providers payment systems to achieve strategic health sector objectives. The course will introduce basic economic concepts, indicators, and methodological considerations, while keeping a pragmatic lens on the implications for informing policy dialogue and health sector reforms. The course will draw from practices and experiences in low- and middle-income countries that are fully relevant for high income countries as well. International experts will present case studies providing real world experiences from different regions/countries on concepts learned during the course. Participants are invited to actively contribute to the discussion by sharing experiences from their own countries, to help fill the mission of mutual learning for change.
Dr. Laura Di Giorgio
By the end of the course participants will:
- Know methods and challenges for tracking expenditure in the health sector, what are common practical challenges, and why it is critical for policy dialogue/health sector reforms;
- Get a basic understanding of methods and indicators for measuring the efficiency of the health sector, and be able to discuss practical challenges and implications for decision making;
- Learn about provider payment systems, pros and cons of each and how these can be used to achieve strategic objectives of the health sector.
To get the Certificate of completion and the 1ECTS participants MUST:
- Attend at least 80%of the course;
- Attend the plenary(s) offered during the days of the course;
- Actively participate in the introductory lectures;
- Actively participate in in group exercises and group discussions.
CHF 850: Online participation. 850 CHF as early bird price (until May 1st), 1000 CHF as normal price (after May first).
CHF 1000: Onsite participation. 1000 CHF as early bird price (until May 1st), 1200 CHF as normal price (after May first).
Discounts are available for PhD and Master students and participants from LMICs. Some scholarships are available especially for participants from LMICs.