11 July 2018
on course website
Oncology: A course on clinical and experimental oncology
The goal of the Summer Schools is to teach a multidisciplinary approach to oncology to medical students before they enter the clinic. The first Summer School in Groningen was held in 1996 and in Vienna in 1999. Students that participated in the Summer schools have been extremely satisfied with the organisation, scientific content and topic range.
- The educational program consists of interactive lectures and workshops. Students will focus on general aspects of cancer
including biological aspects, diagnostic approaches, clinical issues and psycho-oncology. The lectures are given by medical,
radiation and surgical oncologist, radiologists, physicists and psycho-oncologists.
- The workshops and interactive courses go in into more depth on the topics discussed in the lectures. The aim is to teach
students how to deal with daily problems in clinical practice. In addition, students will have time to improve their abstract and
prepare a poster at the end of the course. Writing and presentation skills will be practiced and improved during tutor guided
- Students make an informative exam before and at the end of the summer school covering the main course contents in order
to evaluate and document the learning experience and knowledge obtained.
- Most of the evenings will have a varied social program for relaxation and further getting to know each other.
Dr. S. Kruijff, MD PhD
- To teach a multidisciplinary approach to oncology to medical students in the final phase of their studies.
- To help students become familiar with cancer care in general health practice, to reduce fear of patients with a malignant
disease and to learn more about cancer related problems in other countries.
- To introduce cancer related research & development, new technologies in diagnostic procedures (invasive and non-invasive)
and modern multi-disciplinary treatment approaches.
- To become familiar with preparing abstracts and posters and presenting at an international meeting.
- To encourage critical scientific reasoning and the development of collaboration, and communication skills with peers from all
around the world and to help establish an international network.
A certificate of attendance will be awarded after participating in the entire educational and research course.
EUR 650: The fee includes housing, breakfast, lunch and educational/social activities.Register for this course
on course website