7 July 2018
EU Business Law and WTO Trade Practice (Brussels, Strasbourg, Luxembourg & Geneva)
We offer a multimodal programme. Participants may enrol for the three-week programme or decide to drop out week 1 or 3 :
- 1st week - Brussels • Introduction to the Legal System of the European Union : In this course participants will learn about the governance of the European Union and the common principles that bind together the member states. This introduction to EU law will explain how the main institutions and bodies of the European Union cooperate with each other in the drafting and adoption process related to legally binding acts, with a particular emphasis on the European Court of Justice and the judicial remedies available in the EU legal order. The course also includes a presentation of the various techniques whereby the EU authorities seek to harmonize national legislations and ensure the functioning of the EU’s internal market.
- 2nd week, Brussels, Luxembourg, Strasbourg & Geneva • International Trade Law Practice under WTO : Participants will have the opportunity to travel from Brussels through Luxembourg and Strasbourg to Geneva, getting acquainted with the functioning of European and International organisations. Participants will visit the European Court of Justice, the European Parliament, the European Court of Human Rights and the World Trade organisation (WTO). During their journey, they will have the opportunity to meet key figures in the field of EU law and WTO litigation, including judges, practitioners and officials.
- 3rd week, Brussels • Aspects of EU Business Law : This course provides an introduction to some selected aspects of EU business law that are representative of the typical practice of an international law firm, such as competition (including antitrust and state aid), trade, intellectual property, data protection and mergers & acquisition. Participants will also gain an overview of banking and tax law related to the day-to-day practice of lawyers based in the European Union.
This Summer School is aimed at advanced students (students who have completed at least the second year of their degree) with various academic backgrounds (law, political sciences, economics), legal practitioners and policy analysts willing to acquire a better understanding of the European Union law with a focus on business law and international trade law.
Each year students from all over the world come to Brussels for a unforgettable experience from an academic, social and cultural point of view. The first and third weeks of the programme provide an introduction to the EU legal system and to EU business law. They take place in Brussels, the capital of Belgium and political epicenter of the EU. A and multicultural European city, Brussels offers students a plethora of opportunities for social activities as well as an ideal launching point for travel within Europe.
The second week consists of a travel from Brussels through Luxembourg and Strasbourg to Geneva, a stunning city full of history and the home of numerous international organisations on the shores of lake Léman. During this week-trip, participants will visit several European and international organisations and get to meet leading figures in EU and WTO law.
Each week will end with an in-class written exam. Upon succesful completion of the course and following a written examination, participants will be issued a certificate of attendance and an academic transcript (courses attended, marks and grades).
EUR 650: Participants can either participate either in the whole Summer School or decide to drop week 1 or week 3. The registration fee depends on the option taken:
EARLY BIRD REGISTRATION | For those participants who apply from 1 February to 15 March, 2018
3-week programme (July 2 - 13):
850 EUR - students currently enrolled at university, current Blue Book trainees of the European Commission and alumni from Université Saint-Louis - Bruxelles and unemployed people
1350 EUR - other participants
2-week programme (July 2 - 13) OR (July 9 - 20):
650 EUR - students currently enrolled at university, current Blue Book trainees of the European Commission and alumni from Université Saint-Louis - Bruxelles and unemployed people
1050 EUR - other participants
REGULAR FEE | For those participants who apply from 15 March, 2018 onwards
- 950 EUR - students currently enrolled at university, current Blue Book trainees of the European Commission and alumni from Université Saint-Louis - Bruxelles and unemployed people
- 1450 EUR - other participants
2-week programme (Weeks 1st and 2nd) OR (Weeks 2nd and 3rd)
- 750 EUR - students currently enrolled at university, current Blue Book trainees of the European Commission and alumni from Université Saint-Louis - Bruxelles and unemployed people
- 1150 EUR - other participants
The cost includes:
- the award of the participation certificate;
- courses materials;
- visits to the Court of Justice of the European Union & the European Investment Bank (Luxembourg), the European Parliament & the European Court of Human Rights (Strasbourg) and World Trade Organization (Geneva);
- transportation and accommodation costs in Luxembourg, Strasbourg and Geneva;
- internet in Campus;
- university card to have access to the campus and the library;
- welcome breakfast and farewell cocktail lunch in Brussels ;