23 June 2017
The Lausanne Summer School on Transitional Justice brings together young researchers from around the world whose PhD-work tackles the difficult problem of how past injustice and mass crimes are being addressed during societal transitions. The school is organised by an international research consortium and it promotes multi-disciplinary perspectives on transitional justice, collective memory, dealing with the past and conflict management. It combines lectures given by internationally renowned experts with mentoring activities, writing workshops and project work.
Professor Guy Elcheroth and Ms Sandra Penic
International PhD students in the social sciences, broadly defined
At the end of the two-week summer school, participants should be able to:
- Understand key concepts in the fields of transitional justice, collective memory, dealing with the past and conflict management.
- Conduct a literature review in these fields and critically discuss state-of-the art publications.
- Have basic knowledge about a range of relevant research methods (including archival, oral history, ethnographic and survey research methods) and understand the added value and challenges of multi-methods research designs.
- Be reflexive about the role and possible impact of researchers doing fieldwork in conflict settings, identify and address resulting ethical dilemmas.
- Communicate clearly about the goals and outcomes of their own research to multi-disciplinary audiences and civil society.
More specific course objectives depend on the annual training modules.
CHF 800: The fees include:
- Tuition fees
- Course materials
- A welcome event and a topical visit
Accommodation is not included. However, you can book rooms at a special rate at the Youth Hostel of Lausanne, the Jeunotel, situated near the shore of the Lake. The breakfast, Wi-Fi access, as well as a transportation card are included in the prices below.
Prices, per night per person, are as followed:
Shared bedroom: CHF 46.00
Double rooms with private bathroom: CHF 68.00
Individual room with private bathroom: CHF 90.00