31 August 2018
Summerschool Comic Design
Fancy spending a whole week this summer making your own comic strip, graphic novel or pictorial story? Then register for our Summerschool Comic Design.
This is the ArtEZ Summerschool Comic Design:
• Spend a week developing your own pictorial story
• The emphasis is on storytelling and observation
• Coaching by renowned makers of comics and graphic novels (Bart Nijstad, Aimee de Jongh and Jasper Rietman) and possibly also writer
• Collaborate with 12 to 20 inspirational colleague picture makers
• At the end of the week, you will have a solid concept to work on
S.van der Zee
The minimum age is 18. Participants are Art & Design bachelor students and professionals, self-taught artists with demonstrable skills and experience in the medium, authors and students on writing courses (such as Creative Writing) with an affinity for imagination.
Registration and admission:
Selection is part of the registration for this Summer School. You can apply using the (online) application form at our course website: https://www.artez.nl/en/study-programmes/pictorial-story-summer-school/admission.
Please also send a CV and portfolio in PDF format as required in the application form.
• Registration runs from 1 April to 1 July (if there are still places).
• You will be informed by email as to whether you are admissible within 2 weeks of registration.
• If you have received a message that you are admissible, then you can finalise your registration by paying the tuition fees.
• Based on your application, an expert selection committee will judge whether you can be expected to get sufficient return from the Summer School. We do not enter into correspondence about the results of the selection.
• Documents sent by post will not be dealt with and will not be returned.
If, on the registration closing date (1 July), there are insufficient applications, the Summerschool Comic Design will be cancelled. You will be informed as quickly as possible. Any payments already made will be reimbursed.
The programme for Summerschool Comic Design has been developed for professionals and advanced students.
You will work in the inspiring environment of a well-equipped academy building. The programme comprises a morning and an afternoon programme. In the morning, there are introductory lectures and/or workshops. In the afternoon, you will work on your own research and product.
Accent on storytelling:
Giving your story content is essential. After all, a good story is what determines the quality of your comic strip: Storytelling and imagination are inextricably linked, as are form and content in every art discipline.
Accent on observation:
The Summer School focuses on using empirical research as the basis for developing stories. We use observation as the source for storytelling and imagination.
- to use your immediate surroundings and your own powers of observation to develop a comic
- to structure the work process for developing your comic
- to reflect on your own actions in the design process
- colleague makers from various visual disciplines and possibly also writers
- renowned makers of comics and graphic novels
- the focus is on the process of developing a comic
- at the end of the week, you will have a short comic in progress, ready for further detailing and/or completion.
EUR 550: Participation in the programme costs €550, including coffee, tea and soft drinks. Lunch, dinner and material costs are not included.
ArtEZ Art Academy Zwolle doesn't offer scholarships for this course.