7 August 2018
Latvian language and culture
For the fourth year, the University of Latvia in collaboration with the Latvian Language Agency organizes "Summer School of Latvian Language and Culture" for students and other interested parties who want not only to learn and improve their Latvian language skills, but also to expand their knowledge of Latvian history, art and folklore. The students who study the Latvian Language or other Baltic languages at their home universities are particularly encouraged to apply.
- intensive, modern and interactive Latvian language course (grammar, reading, writing, speaking, 64 academic hours), which includes such topics as the human personality, experience, knowledge and skills, friendly contacts and time spent in Latvia, versatile and unique Riga, city tour and orientation, daily life and holidays in Latvia, Latvian traditional and modern culture, current events in Latvian media, Latvia’s and Latvians’ success stories in the world;
- afternoon discussion on Latvian history and politics, getting acquainted with modern Latvian history and political situation in Latvia;
- afternoon discussion on Latvian culture and art, getting acquainted with its historical development and key figures, especially, in the visual arts and architecture;
- afternoon discussion on Latvian folklore: customs and traditions, getting acquainted with one of the most interesting forms of folklore - Latvian folk songs or dainas, by singing and dancing;
- guided tour of Riga, visiting several museums (e.g., Museum of the History of Riga and Navigation or Museum of the Occupation of Latvia, Rainis and Aspazija House-Museum in Riga, Latvian National Museum of Art, Latvian Ethnographic Open-Air Museum);
- a two-day trip to port city Ventspils, sightseeing (e.g., the Seaside Open-air Museum with an opportunity to ride a narrow-gauge train Mazbānītis, Ventspils Crafts House, a boat tour aboard “Duke Jacob” (Hercogs Jēkabs) along the Venta River).
Pre-Studies Training Centre of the University of Latvia
People who want to learn and improve their Latvian language skills and expand their knowledge of Latvian history, art and folklore. The students who study the Latvian Language or other Baltic languages at their home universities are particularly encouraged to apply.
The study programme enables students to learn the Latvian language or to improve their existing language skills and intercultural awareness and sensitivity. The programme is designed to be interactive and allows to practice newly acquired knowledge and skills. The cultural activities and excursions are planned to supplement class work and to introduce participants to the rich diversity of the geographical, linguistic, and cultural areas of Latvia.
The attendees, having successfully completed the course, are awarded 4 credits (6 ECTS).
EUR 15: Registration fee
EUR 561: Fee includes tuition, teaching material, social programme, trips, excursions, refreshments during the cultural evenings and opening/closing ceremonies. Participation fee is set at 561 EUR (435 EUR for students/scholars)
International students can apply for University of Latvia and Latvian state (the State Education Development Agency) scholarships.