28 July 2023
Photography and Heritage
Nottingham is a vibrant city with a rich heritage – Robin Hood, Sherwood Forest, The Lace Market, and Nottingham Castle all make this the idea place to learn about heritage through the lens of your camera. This course will teach you the necessary skills to capture the identity of a place in your photographs.
In this course you will:
• Improve your understanding of digital photography and the manual settings of your camera
• Explore Nottingham’s history and heritage through photography
• Experiment with abstract shapes, colours and textures
• Use Raw processing and Photoshop to enhance and manipulate your images
• Print your own photographs in a darkroom
• Make a short zine of your work using InDesign
You will need a camera if you have one. This could be a digital or film camera. If you don’t have one then don’t worry, you can borrow one from the university - you will be using a variety of cameras including the ones on your phone!
George Miles and Jed Hoyland - Senior Lecturers in the School of Art and Design.
This course is ideal for university-level students with a passion for photography and heritage and have the required English language skills.
After studying on this course, you should be able to:
• Communicate a visual response to places and histories
• Evaluate your own work and that of others
• Demonstrate relevant technical skills
• Create photographs that explore ideas.
Teaching on this course will be delivered by lectures and project briefings, studio workshops, technical demonstrations, verbal and visual presentations, and off campus trips.
Assessment – visual presentation of your project work.
10 UK Credit / 5 ECTS. You will receive a certificate and an official NTU transcript of results with your credits recorded.
GBP 1200: £1080 Early-bird discount if paid by 30 April 2023. Tuition fee includes course materials, our exciting social and cultural programme, support from our friendly team of student buddies, use of our GSS Hub with free drinks, and a trip to the beautiful city of York.
GBP : You will stay in on-campus accommodation offering single en-suite rooms on a self-catering basis with shared kitchen and living spaces, kitchen and bedding packs and 24-hour security/reception cover. The fee will be confirmed very soon.
An early-bird discount if tuition fee payment is received by 30 April 2023. A further discount is offered to groups of 10+ students travelling from the same University.