10 August 2018
on course website
Personalized Medicine 101
Personalized or precision medicine relies on tailor-made diagnoses and treatments for patients, based on the differences among the molecular background of individuals. This challenging medical area needs the specific training of professionals for the detailed knowledge about genomic structure and dynamics and advanced molecular biology techniques. Personalized Medicine 101 intends to be a fundamental platform for the understanding the basis and applications of Molecular Biology to the medical field.
The course will be structured in theoretical lectures and practical tutorials. It will focus mainly on the use of web-based databases and tools, all of them followed by guided discussions, to cover the following modules:
- Module 1: Human genome structure and dynamics. Coding and non-coding genome and transcriptome. Techniques and databases for genome analysis. The main objectives of this module are the description of the human genomic structure and the consequences of the dynamic output of genomic information in the context of cell biology and human disease. Teaching time: 6h.
- Module 2: Human genetic variation and pathological consequences. Concepts of pathological and neutral genomic variations. Practical examples and general databases (SNP and Clinvar). The main objectives of this module are to understand the natural and pathological human genomic variation and how to explore these variants in clinical applications. Teaching time: 3h.
- Module 3: Genome Wide Association Studies (GWAS) and their applications to clinics. The main goal of this module is to understand the GWAS methods, their strengths and weaknesses and its clinical applications. Teaching time: 3h.
- Module 4: Basics on Pharmacogenomics and Pharmacogenetics: practical clinical cases. The proposed objectives of this module are to use the rules of genetics to design a personalized protocol for diagnosis, prognosis and treatment of human diseases. Teaching time: 6h.
- Module 5: Advanced therapeutics. This module will include the detailed description of RNA-based therapeutics and genome editing techniques. The main goals of this module are to give a glimpse on how new medical strategies can benefit the treatment of genetic and rare diseases. Teaching time: 6h.
- Module 6: Computer Aided Drug Design (CADD). This module will cover the techniques and strategies devoted to the structural characterization of biomolecules for medical purposes, including the detailed description of X-ray crystallography and cryo-electron microscopy methods within the context of rational drug design. The objectives of the module are to familiarize the students with the structure of macromolecules and how to exploit it for the design of more effective drugs. Teaching time: 6h.
Please bring your laptop to the course.
Francisco J. Enguita
Assistant Professor and Senior Investigator
Instituto de Medicina Molecular
Faculty of Medicine
University of Lisbon
Associate Professor and Research Group Leader
Master, PhD, Postdoc. The course is mainly designed for biomedical students, who are willing to apply the methodology of personalized medicine into their clinical practice, but also for those interested in understanding the most advanced techniques and protocols for rational drug design and therapeutics.
After this course you are able to:
1. Understand the complex human genomic structure, either at the static or the dynamic level
2. Translate the human genomic context into specific diagnosis and treatment for a particular disease
3. Utilize specialized databases for the retrieval of genomic data
4. Understand the rational drug-design methods and applications
5. Understand the concepts of Pharmacogenomics and Pharmacogenetics and their practical applications to clinics
6. Understand the molecular basis for advanced therapeutic strategies (RNA-based therapeutics and genome editing techniques)
EUR 600: The fee includes the registration fees, course materials, access to library and IT facilities, coffee/tea, lunch, and a number of social activities.
We offer several reduced fees:
€ 540 early bird discount- deadline 1 April 2018 (10%)
€ 510 partner + RU discount (15%)
€ 450 early bird + partner + RU discount (25%)
on course website