23 August 2019
Education in Diverse Cultures
Diversity education, multicultural education, multicultural understanding and intercultural sensitivity. Learn-ing culture and teaching culture (ethnocentrism, gender, power and authority, religion). Multilingualism (sign language included), cultural traditions, multi- and interculturalism and meeting diversity. Communication styles in various cultures. Values underlying teacher-student relationships in various cultures.
After completing the study unit, the student
• is aware and understands concepts and perspectives underlying the diversity in educational settings,
• can observe and acknowledge the cultural diversity of learners from different perspectives applying the theoretical knowledge,
• can recognize and value the cultural diversity and its significance in education, training, pedagogical activities, human encounters in work communities, as well as in individuals and their behaviors,
• can distinguish the factors that transmit and create culture in education and training, in addition to being able to evaluate the varied basic values within the field of education and training,
• recognizes the significance of pedagogical activity for developing the cooperation and mutual under-standing between the individuals from different kinds of cultural backgrounds,
• is able to evaluate the significance of shared expertise in operational environments of education.
EUR 500: Course fee. There is a discount of 20 % for the participants from UEF partner Universities.
EUR 200: Course fee for exchange students starting in autumn 2019.