8 July 2022
The Art of the Medical Practitionerblended course
The University of St Andrews is steeped in tradition and known for its global outlook, ranked first in the UK by the Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide in 2022. This new Global Summer School gives undergraduate students from around the world the opportunity to explore different disciplines and earn academic credit.
Choose two accredited courses (i.e. modules) from our unique programme to expand your academic horizons and take home up to 10 ECTS/6 US credits total.
The modules are designed by our expert academics to introduce you to new academic perspectives, approaches and skills, so no prior subject knowledge is required. As a bonus, you also have the option to complete the University of St Andrews Professional Skills Award, endorsed by the Institute of Leadership and Management. Our programme of excursions will immerse you in the cultural heritage of the local area and landscapes.
Monday 30 May – Friday 3 June 2022: Online introduction to the programme and pre-reading
Monday 6 June – Saturday 2 July 2022: In-person classes in St Andrews (accommodation included)
Saturday 2 July – Friday 8 July 2022: Online, time to complete coursework
What this module is about:
The programme will be comprised of a series of workshops, including practical demonstrations, designed to demonstrate “The Art of Medicine” and its practice in clinical and academic settings. Participants will be actively encouraged to develop their own powers of observation through examination of cadaveric pro-sections, medical X-ray investigations and clinical examination of patients.
This module can be combined with one of the following modules
• Connecting the Ancient and the Modern Worlds
• A Century of Chinese Cultural Innovation
Curricular information may be subject to change.
School of Medicine, University of St Andrews
Undergraduate students with a GPA of 3.2 or above. This module is aimed at students interested in pursuing a career in medical/ health services who will usually be on a pre-health or pre-med track at their home institutions.
By the end of the module, students will be able to
• demonstrate skills in clinical communications
• demonstrate an appreciation of the way doctors use judgement and experience in decision making
• demonstrate the ability required to produce a research-based poster
• understand and demonstrate skills in reflection
• understand and appreciate lifelong learning skills in medicine
• articulate a broad knowledge of medicine and how it can be applied
Each module is worth 10 Scottish credits (SCQF), which is equivalent to 100 hours of work (roughly 1/3 contact hours and 2/3 self-directed study). You will complete work for graded assessment and receive a University of St Andrews transcript and certificate.
10 SCQF is equivalent to 5 ECTS or 2.5-3 US credits. 2 modules will earn you 20 SCQF (10 ECTS or 5-6 US credits). Please check with your home institution about credit transfer arrangements.
GBP 5000: The course fee is £5,000. The fee covers:
• Tuition on two modules, for credit
• Access to the University of St Andrews Professional Skills Curriculum
• From Saturday 4 June to Saturday 2 July 2022: accommodation in our residences, en-suite in shared five-person apartments (sharing with other Summer School students)
• Breakfast, lunch and dinner daily (except Friday evening to Sunday, when you will get breakfast and can use the self-catered kitchens for other meals on those days)
• An extracurricular programme of excursions, cultural and social activities
• Sports Centre membership for the duration of the summer school
• Access to University services as a registered student of St Andrews, including the Library, IT Services, Student Services
The fee does not include airfare.