27 July 2024
on course website
Research Lab Internship
Masaryk University, in collaboration with CEITEC – one of the strongest research institutions in Central Europe, stands apart from other universities as a place to learn. Drawing on these achievements and also enhancing its dynamic place, it opens up its research facilities to undergraduate or graduate foreign students for an intensive summer research internship.
Incoming students will be required to work at least 250 hours (8 hours a day, 4 days a week, 8 weeks in total) on a specific project assigned and supervised by local faculty members.
In addition to this, there will be an accompanying cultural programme that will introduce the Czech Republic and the Central Europe to the participating students. The program will consist of lectures and seminars on the given topic, movie screening, concerts, shows, museum and historical sites visit, as well as in-town and out-of-town excursions. Finally, there will be three-day trips to the regional capitals (Prague, Vienna and Budapest) where students will be able to understand the Central European context to the Czech identity. Each trip will be organized by Masaryk University, and transportation, 2-nights accommodation as well as the professional tours and cultural program will be arranged.
Students in this program are housed in Hotel Centrum, in the style of traditional student dormitories. This is a great opportunity to see how student housing is different all around the world (or is similar, depending on what country you are from!). In Brno, students share a room with one other student, while on trips, students are three per room.
There will be an Orientation, 24/7 on-site assistance, local student assistant at the residence, as well as access to the libraries, cafeterias, PC labs, and available gym facilities for the whole duration of the program.
Projects (a full list of programmes can be found on our website):
- Design and synthesis of new fluorophores for the detection of biomolecules
- Development of asymmetric organocatalytic aldol-type reactions
- Highly enhancing planar substrates for SERS of biomolecules
- Highly enhancing nanoparticle colloids for SERS of biomolecules
- Improving the efficacy and safety of recanalization of cerebral infarction with dual
- In vitro models for exploring male reproductive health
- Isolation of selected chemical constituents from different parts of Ficus species
- Molecular modeling of cellular membrane–carbohydrate interactions
- Occurrence and species diversity of wild and semi-wild orangutan parasites
- Study new biodegradable nanoparticles: new tool for the diagnosis and treatment of ischemic stroke
- Synthesis and testing of novel peptidase inhibitors as compounds with a potential therapeutic activity
- The role of nutritional density on food intake regulation and performance of the extremely short-lived fish
Some lab experience may be required, specific requirements are listed in the individual programme descriptions.
Spend your summer improving your laboratory and research skills. Become a part of the research team on ongoing projects conducted by experts in their fields.
EUR 4000: The cost of this program is €4000, with a €100 early bird application discount; additional €400 discount for partner universities.
Tuition for the summer school
Accommodation in Brno
Transportation for 3 weekend trips (ex: Prague, Vienna, Budapest)
Accommodation on weekend trips
Opening and Closing receptions
Culture activities around Brno
Students should budget about €900-1800, depend on their own spending habits for food, eating out, shopping, clubbing, weekend trips (lunch and dinner) and fun "optional" activities in Brno, Prague, Vienna, and Budapest (the underground labyrinth in Brno, Budapest baths, bars, etc.), depending on their spending habits.
EUR 3900: For students who apply and commit by February 1st 2024
on course website