8 July 2017
Introduction to Shipping
The programme deals with the technical, economic and legal frameworks within which daily vital components of general shipping management operate. During the programme, the participants will be exposed to the key business fundamentals of managing across the industry so that they understand the role of shipping in the development of international trade and the world economy.
Current University/ College students and/or graduates
On completion of this introductory course, participants shall acquire a fundamental knowledge and be able:
• To understand the importance of the shipping industry as a global economic activity
• To recognize the importance of safety and its implications for the maritime industry
• To describe the nature of financial and economic risks surrounding the maritime industry
• To understand the role of maritime organizations legislating for the maritime industry
• To realize the impact of the various shipping conventions and regulations
• To develop a sound understanding of the Marine Insurance Market
• To appraise the critical activities in purchasing and selling ships
• To understand the alternative forms of vessel employment
• Evaluate trends in specific sectors of the maritime industry
• To identify current and future challenges of shipping industry
EUR 1800: Programme fee covers lectures and seminars, airport pick up and drop off, transportation pass, course material, farewell lunch and dinner, meals where applicable, field trips and co-curricular activities.
Fees do not cover personal travel (including travel between home and the location of the programme in Greece), meals other than those mentioned in the programme description, medical care or insurance, accommodation (optional), personal expenses and incidentals.
EUR 2400: Fee includes accommodation for the duration of the programme.