2 September 2017
Local Food Heritage as a Prerequisite of Sustainable Food Tourism Development
Traveling, Food & Experiences - find your passion at VŠO Summer School in Prague!
The summer school is a unique opportunity to study in English in a historical center of Prague while using modern learning methods. Enjoy a trip to UNESCO Heritage site Kutná Hora and Prague, Cooking Workshops, or one-day Field Trip to Všeradice Mini Brewery. You can gain theoretical knowledge and practical skills, develop your professional network, expand your cultural horizons and share an incredible experience with fellow students from around the world.
Promotion of local culture and food is one of the sustainable tourism objectives. VŠO Summer School provides you with the opportunity to work on modern food tourism and sustainability-related topics. Together we can help to strengthen the tourists´ and residents´ awareness of local food and make from tourism a more sustainable sector!
• INTRODUCTION TO FOOD AND FOOD TOURISM
» Contemporary linkages between the geography of food and tourism
» Food origins, historical and geographical distribution of food
» Food and culture relation
» Food Tourist: characteristics, behavior, and preferences
• LOCAL FOOD HERITAGE AND SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT
» Sustainability - cultural diversity and heritage value
» Local food heritage, the terroir
» Food as a destination attraction
» Food tourism networks: farmers‘ markets, produce markets, food trails, and food festivals
» Food tourism trends and issues
» Sustainable food tourism development
• INFORMATION TECHNOLOGIES, SOCIAL MEDIA, AND FOOD TOURISM
» Food blogs
» Low-cost marketing campaign in the online environment
» Measurement metrics of successful campaign
Doc. Ing. Alžbeta Kiráľová, Ph.D.
University students, recent graduates, young professionals with intermediary level of English
The aim of the Summer School is to provide the participants with a broad understanding of the most recent food tourism issues with a focus on local food and sustainability.
On completion of the Summer School course, the participants will be able to:
• Discuss the role of the business of food tourism; differentiate clearly between each of the world’s regions in term of their contemporary food tourism potential;
• Understand the relation between food and culture;
• Discuss the food tourists´ characteristics, behavior, and preferences;
• Demonstrate skills in presenting materials orally and giving multi-media presentation;
• Work effectively as an individual and as a member of a group;
• Apply the sustainability principles in food tourism;
• Understand the importance and value of food heritage;
• Prepare a food tourism product for particular destination;
• Discuss the trend in food tourism;
• Create a food blog;
• Understand basic metrics of successful campaign;
• Develop an online marketing campaign.
EUR 1200: Lectures & field trip, cooking workshops, farmers´ market visit, accommodation in single rooms for 7 nights, full board for 5 days (Monday – Friday), public transportation pass, farewell party, and study materials.
Does not include:
Incoming/outgoing travel to Prague, full board during the weekend, weekend program
There are no scholarships offered.